Tuesday, September 20, 2011

19: Great Broughton to Blakeys Ridge

Happy Birthday Lindsey - hope you had a great day and sorry we missed you when we rang.  Sounds like Mitch was cooking up a storm for your birthday dinner.

We had a late start this morning as only a short days walk - only 15kms today!  David from the hotel dropped up back up to where we finished last night and off up again - we seem to always start the day with a bit of a climb - only about 400 - 500 metres today, so a piece of cake!


The sheep here are very photographic!

Weather good when we started, and again a lovely walk.  Once we reached the top of the ridge we followed an old railway line (made into a path - no tracks left) along the top of the moors.  Heather in flower everywhere and lots of grouse.  Some lovely views back into the valleys.




Tonight we are stating at the Lion Inn, built on the top of the moors and would have been on the railway line when it was operating.  Apparently the pub dates back to the fifteen hundreds - they must have been much shorter that people are now as even I am bumping my head on doorways!  The bar/restaurant is like a rabbit warren of caves, all very dark, but the rooms are quite nice (but tiny).  When we arrived there was a helicopter parked outside - someone must have been flown up for lunch!

Quite cool and really windy now, but I suspect that it's always windy here!

Looking up towards the Lion Inn



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 am

    Thanks Jen. Sorry I missed you all. Mitch sent a massive bunch of flowers to work and I needed to work until after 7 to get a cab home with them. Great blog. I like coming on ever 3-4 days to get a good hit of entries! Looks like everyone is much chirpier now and you're all enjoying it!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:25 pm

    Hi Jen and everyone,
    We got your post card today at work, thank you. I am loving the pics on your blog but I gotta say it sounds like one big pub crawl!!
    I hope you have a good massage booked for the end of the trip.
    I do admire your tenacity I dont know if I could have perserved in some of the weather you have had to endure.
    cheers,
    Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message...